The Arcitecta Mediaflux + Spectra BlackPearl NAS solution provides high-performance scale-out NAS and the Arcitecta Mediaflux + Spectra BlackPearl Object Storage solution provides archive economics, HA, enterprise-grade data protection and massive cost savings.
Today’s data-driven organisations must process amounts of data to accelerate innovation, re-engineer operations and facilitate more efficient service delivery models. Computing performance is critical for enhancing agility and gaining the competitive edge necessary to drive business growth and success. The combined Mediaflux and BlackPearl solutions are designed to provide performance, scale, security, and efficiency, enabling data to be processed quickly by any NFS, SMB or S3 application or workflow.
“The combined solutions offer unprecedented high performance, scalability, security, efficiency, and significant cost savings,” said Matt Starr, CTO, Spectra Logic. “With Arcitecta’s innovative data management solutions and Spectra Logic’s technology strengths and capabilities, customers can cost-effectively manage massive data volumes in powerful new ways – a game-changer in the storage industry.”
Mediaflux and BlackPearl together provide automatic tiering with complete data lifecycle management, easy administration, and on-premises S3 object storage with infinite scalability and easy search and access control. By storing data on-premises, the solutions reduce the latency associated with accessing data stored in the cloud.
“We developed our joint solution’s NFS and SMB protocols in-house to achieve the level of computing performance organisations require to process enormous amounts of data,” said Jason Lohrey, Arcitecta’s CEO and founder. “Mediaflux + BlackPearl NAS can support hundreds of billions of files in a single, easily managed global namespace. Multiple storage nodes work in parallel, allowing the system to handle vast I/O request volumes, increase throughput, and reduce latency.”
Benefits of the Mediaflux+BlackPearl NAS solution include:
- High-performance NFS and SMB at scale. Unlike other solutions that source off-the-shelf open-source protocols, Mediaflux NFS and SMB protocols and the BlackPearl API client were developed in-house to enhance performance and supportability. The solution bundle provides performance, scale, security, and efficiency, enabling data to be processed quickly by any application.
- Automatic tiering with complete data lifecycle management. Provides a global view of all data, no matter what storage it’s on, with identity and policy-based access controls. It delivers extensive metadata harvesting, annotation, cataloging, and recording of all data provenance. Intelligent data placement and movement ensure data is always in the right place at the right time and at the right cost.
- Enterprise-grade data protection. Ransomware resiliency and security protect vs. ransomware attacks by including multiple layers of protection, such as intrusion detection and prevention, and real-time monitoring and response capabilities to detect and prevent unauthorised access or activity.
- High availability. Multiple storage nodes provide HA through redundancy – if one node fails, others can take over and continue providing data access. A distributed file system, with data stored across multiple nodes, allows data to be accessed from any node in the cluster, increasing data availability.
- Easy administration. A centralised management interface allows administrators to manage and monitor all aspects of the system, making it easy to keep track of all data and storage resources and to quickly identify and address any issues.
- Massive cost savings. Reduces cost by storing data on different types of media based on the data’s value and how frequently it is accessed. Infrequently accessed data can be stored on lower-cost media such as tape or object storage – while leaving active data on more expensive, high-performance flash storage.
Benefits of the Mediaflux+BlackPearl Object Storage solution include:
- Scalability. On-premises object storage can support hundreds of billions of objects in a single, easily managed global namespace. By storing data on-premises, the solution reduces the latency associated with accessing data stored in the cloud.
- More affordable than AWS Glacier. Reduces costs by storing data on different types of media based on the data’s value and how frequently it is accessed. Infrequently accessed data can be stored on lower-cost media, such as disk or tape storage, while leaving active data on more expensive, high-performance flash storage.
- Automatic tiering with complete data lifecycle management. Provides a global view of all data, no matter what storage it’s on, with identity and policy-based access controls. Delivers extensive metadata harvesting, annotation, cataloging, and recording of all data provenance. Intelligent data placement and movement ensure data is always in the right place at the right time and at the right cost.
- Complete administrative control. Organisations have complete control over how their data is stored and managed, especially for those with specific data management and compliance requirements. A centralised management interface allows administrators to manage and monitor all aspects of the system.
- Easy access and access control. The user interface is intuitive and easy to use, with a range of search and filtering capabilities that allow users to quickly find the data they need. Mediaflux also offers a range of tools for managing access to data, including user and group-based access controls, automated data retention policies, and auditing capabilities.
- Enhanced security. Includes multiple layers of protection such as intrusion detection and prevention and real-time monitoring and response capabilities to detect and prevent unauthorised access or activity. Administrators can set granular access controls that ensure only authorised personnel can access sensitive data, reducing the risk of data breaches.
- HA. Multiple storage nodes provide HA through redundancy – if one node fails, others can take over and continue providing data access. Replication of data across multiple nodes provides the ability for data to be restored from a replica.
“At a time when large enterprises are dealing with multiple petabytes of data and rely on data as the lifeblood of their business, the market needs solutions that address not only massive storage but the complexities of managing the data lifecycle,” said Mark Nossokoff, research director, Hyperion Research. “Many factors can complicate storage and management schemes, including evolving organisational needs, shifting data priorities, optimising workloads, and leveraging new technologies as they come into play. The Arcitecta and Spectra Logic alliance offers solutions aimed at helping organisations address these challenges and achieve the computing performance required to process enormous amounts of data.”
Arcitecta Mediaflux + Spectra BlackPearl Video
Arcitecta Mediaflux + Spectra BlackPearl NAS Solution Brief
Arcitecta Mediaflux + Spectra BlackPearl Object Storage Solution Brief
More on Mediaflux
More on Spectra Logic BlackPearl NAS
More on Spectra Logic BlackPearl Object Storage
Coldago Research: Arcitecta and Spectra Logic selected in the Coldago Map 2022 for Unstructured Data Management
Coldago Research: Spectra Logic selected in the Coldago Map 2022 for Object Storage
IDC Spotlight Report: Backup and Recovery Technology Rises to the Challenge of a New Era
DCIG Executive Whitepaper: Achieving Data Resilience at Scale Requires a New Approach to Backup and Recovery
Press Release: Arcitecta Unveils Radical Approach for Petabyte-Scale Data Resilience with Metadata-based Data Protection
This joint announcement between Arcitecta and Spectra Logic marks a clear jump into the scalable file storage world for both players. Each of them already offers independent solutions that can be use independently, on the Spectra side, BlackPearl NAS is a scale-up approach gaining the scale-out flavor with the Arcitecta "umbrella" and for Arcitecta, this data management layer appears to be universal working with any back-end NAS or file servers.
It gives clearly to Spectra the capability to address primary storage need as the capacity, performance, scalability and availability reach a new level. On the BackPearl S3, it confirms the strategy started some time ago to promote on-premise/in-house Glacier like archive.
For Arcitecta, it illustrates the growing role of their technology, adopted and validated by many users and partners. What Arcitecta offers reminds what other global file service, global namespace or network file virtualization or management vendors delivered in the past or even currently for some of them. Among them we can mention Attune with asset swallowed by F5 in 2009, Acopia acquired by F5 as well in 2007, AutoVirt who collapsed, NeoPath acquired by Cisco in 2007, Rainfinity acquired by EMC in 2005 or NuView acquired by Brocade in 2006 for StorageX available for a few years from Data Dynamics. It was probably too early as they all got acquired and some product even disappeared. We can add current offerings that started a new wave from Hammerspace, iRods, Komprise, StarFish or StrongLink to name a few.