Kioxia America, Inc. adds the BG6 Series to its lineup of PCIe 4.0 SSDs – the 1st product to feature the company’s new 6th gen BiCS FLASH 3D flash memory (1) and almost 1.7x the performance of its predecessor (2).
Designed to unleash the increased speeds and affordability of PCIe 4.0 for PC users, the compact BG6 Series client SSDs offer a M.2 2230 form factor with higher capacities and improved power efficiency. M.2 2280 single-sided form factor versions are also available.
The BG6 Series unlocks back-end flash performance while maintaining affordability and increasing capacity, making it an option for commercial and consumer notebooks and desktops. BG6 drives support the matured Host Memory Buffer (HMB) technology, which utilizes part of the host memory (DRAM) as if it were its own, to realize a DRAM-less, performance SSD.
“Next generation storage for commercial and personal mobile computing applications needs to keep pace with consumer demand for ultra mobility without compromise,” said Neville Ichhaporia, SVP and GM, SSD business unit. “Our new Kioxia BG6 SSDs deliver increased performance and density in a small footprint, making them well-suited to today’s ‘work and play from anywhere’ lifestyle.”
Additional features and benefits include:
- Capacities of 256, 512, 1,024 and 2,048GB
- PCIe standard 64GT/s interface (Gen4 x4 lanes)
- Up to 6,000MB/s sequential read and 5,300MB/s sequential write
- Up to 850,000 IO/s random read and 900,000 IO/s random write
- Forward-looking support for the NVMe technology 1.4c feature set and basic management command over System Management Bus (SMBus), enabling tighter thermal management
- Support for the latest TCG Pyrite and Opal standards (3), as well as end-to-end data protection ensures data is secure whether at home or in the office
- Power Loss Notification signal support to protect data against forced shut downs
- Sideband signal (PERST#, CLKREQ# and PLN#) support for both 1.8V and 3.3V
- Supports platform FW recovery feature
The BG6 Series will be on display during Dell Technologies World at company’s booth.
The BG6 Series will start sampling in the 2H23 for OEM customer evaluation.
Click to enlarge
(1) 256GB and 512GB SSDs use 5th generation BiCS FLASH 3D flash memory
(2) Comparing Kioxia BG5 Series 1,024 SSD vs. BG6 Series 1,024GB SSD in sequential performance
(3) Availability of security/encryption options may vary by region.