Cloudian, Inc. announced that its HyperStore object storage has been certified with VMware Tanzu Kubernetes Grid (TKG), a multi-cloud Kubernetes footprint that can run both on-premises in vSphere and in the public cloud on Amazon EC2 and Azure.
HyperStore delivers enterprise-grade persistent storage for modern, cloud-native applications in TKG customers’ own environments, with native S3 compatibility, limitless scalability, military-grade security and cloud-like agility at up to 70% less cost than public cloud offerings. Announcement complements Cloudian’s ongoing collaboration with VMware in other areas, such as enabling customers to support both modern and traditional applications from a single platform through HyperStore’s interoperability with VMware Cloud Foundation.
Cloud-native Applications Need Cloud-native Storage
Enterprises are increasingly deploying cloud-native applications on-premises to meet regulatory requirements and avoid the cost and complexity of moving large production workloads to the cloud. These applications require a modern storage foundation that can support technologies such as Kubernetes, serverless computing and micro-services that are key components of these environments.
Unfortunately, traditional enterprise storage systems not only are difficult to provision and manage but also cannot deliver the scalability needed. Purpose-built container storage offerings are more agile but lack the scalability, security and durability that cloud-native production environments demand.
Benefits of Cloudian Object Storage for VMware TKG
In contrast to these other solutions, Cloudian gives VMware TKG customers a scalable and more secure enterprise storage platform with the agility and ease-of-management needed for cloud-native applications.
Key features and benefits include:
- Native S3 compatibility, enabling application portability across on-prem and public cloud environments.
- Simple API calls for high-level storage management access.
- Multi-tenancy for secure, self-managed storage within a single platform.
- Multi-cloud support with single-namespace simplicity, including out-of-the-box integration with AWS, GCP and Azure that maintains data in its native format.
- Enterprise-grade security, including data immutability for ransomware protection, encryption for data in flight and at rest, integrated firewall, RBAC/IAM and SAML access controls, and certification with the most rigorous regulatory requirements, such as Common Criteria, FIPS and NIST 800-88.
- Cost savings from consolidating traditional and modern workloads on the same platform, thereby eliminating infrastructure silos and capitalizing on common skills and training.
“As enterprises increasingly deploy applications of all kinds across both public and private clouds, they want a consistent operational model,” said Ajay Patel, SVP and GM, modern applications and management business group, VMware. “With its native S3 compatibility, EB scalability and robust security, Cloudian HyperStore object storage provides a strong modern storage foundation for our Tanzu Kubernetes Grid customers.“
“Object storage has emerged as a key enabler for modern applications, helping organizations extract greater value from their digital assets to meet their business or mission objectives,” said Jon Toor, CMO, Cloudian. “Through our close collaboration with VMware over the past year, we’ve been able to extend the data management and protection benefits of our award-winning object storage platform to a broader range of customers and use cases.“
Cloudian storage for TKG environments is available from Cloudian and its reseller partners, as well as through the VMware Marketplace.